• Senior Coalition Minister Christopher Pyne says the Government has no intention to increase taxes to help pay for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
• The story of Gabby Wanambi, a 9 year old girl who died of septicaemia in May 2014 has been told. Her ankle was injured and it was too late when medical staff realized that it was more than just a simple injury.
• Energy drinks are not safe to everyone. It is linked to a higher risk of sudden cardiac death among young people who may be unaware they have a heart condition.
News on Health Professional Radio. Today is the 17th of February 2017. Read by Rebecca Foster. Health News
Senior Coalition Minister Christopher Pyne says the Government has no “absolutely no desire or intention” to increase taxes to help pay for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
His comments came less than 24 hours after Finance Minister Mathias Cormann floated the idea, with the Senate crossbench remaining opposed to the Government’s omnibus savings bill.
Treasurer Scott Morrison has vowed to redirect $3.1 billion in savings from the bill to the NDIS, should the savings be passed.
But South Australian senator Nick Xenophon has described that as a “sledgehammer” tactic.
Labor, the Greens and the Nick Xenophon Team remain opposed to the legislation, which rolls nearly $4 billion in saving measures into the one bill, including changes to child care, family payments and paid parental leave.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said on Wednesday raising taxes to pay for the NDIS was “a penetrating glimpse of the obvious”.
Mr Turnbull has accused Labor of leaving the NDIS short of money while in office; a claim the opposition has rejected.
Labor established the NDIS and is determined to not only defend its legacy but counter Coalition claims it left the scheme only partially funded.
Once the NDIS is fully operational it will be one of the biggest government-funded programs after Medicare.
An 11-year-old girl who died of sepsis after rolling her ankle was sent home from hospital with painkillers and antibiotics, an inquest into her death has been told.
Gabby Wanambi died of septicaemia in May 2014 from an infection caused when she rolled her ankle.
Counsel assisting the inquest Kelvin Currie said Gabby had been playing with friends in the dark when she was injured.
The inquest heard in the four days between the injury and her death, Gabby visited her local health clinic and Gove Hospital a number of times, but was told she had a soft tissue injury.
It was not until the night before her death that medical staff realised she may have a secondary infection.
The nurse who treated her that night, Izello Haynes, said Gabby was in so much pain she would not let her near her injured ankle.
But the nurse said as soon as she assessed Gabby and discovered she had a fever and an elevated heart rate, she knew immediately that she needed to call the doctor.
“I even said to the family, ‘she’s too sick for me, I’m calling the doctor’,” she said.
Dr Geoffrey Harper was on call and treated Gabby over the phone.
The inquest heard he did not go to the hospital to see her as he was at home when he received the call.
Gabby was sent home with analgesics and antibiotics and told to return early the next day.
Mr Currie told the inquest when Gabby did return to Gove Hospital her abdomen was distended, both of her legs were swollen, she had bilateral pneumonia and there were fears her heart was failing.
Plans were made to fly her directly to the Royal Darwin Hospital, but she began to rapidly decline and was not stable enough to be moved.
Mr Currie said despite efforts to resuscitate her for four hours, she died that evening.
Dr Harper told the inquest he felt numb after Gabby died and he wished he had gone into the hospital to see her himself.
Energy drinks have been linked to a higher risk of sudden cardiac death and increased blood pressure among young people who may be unaware they have a heart condition.
A joint study from the University of Sydney, the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA) and the Centenary Institute found people with a condition known as Long QT Syndrome experienced such significant changes to their heart rate, they were at increased risk of “sudden cardiac death”.
Long QT Syndrome affects one in every 2,000 people.
“These drinks are not as safe as people think that they are.”
Dr Gray said patients also showed a significant increase in their blood pressure “of more than 10 per cent,” a rise not seen in the control group.
She said people needed to be warned about the dangers because many would not be aware they had the genetic condition, particularly young people.