• Eight patients will be moved to country hospitals as Adelaide’s public hospitals implemented a winter demand management plan to ease pressure on beds. Health Minister Jack Snelling announced that most non-urgent elective surgery in Adelaide’s public hospitals would be cancelled for about 48 hours.
• An Australian-first operation has been performed on a seven-year-old boy the removal of Gary Wanganeen’s pancreas, with islet cells from the organ “re-infused” into the boy’s liver by doctors at Adelaide’s Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
• Councillor Richard Foster is calling for smoking to be banned throughout the Royal Botanic Gardens and in areas along the Yarra River.
Health News on Health Professional Radio. Today is the 6th August 2015. Read by Rebecca Foster.
Eight patients will be moved to country hospitals as Adelaide’s public hospitals implement a winter demand management plan to ease pressure on beds.
Health Minister Jack Snelling on Tuesday announced most non-urgent elective surgery in Adelaide’s public hospitals would be cancelled for about 48 hours under the plan.
The move aims to free up public hospital beds and was activated when the state faced its busiest day of winter so far.
Under the plan, patients will be moved to hospitals at Victor Harbor, Mount Gambier or Gawler while staff will discharge patients early wherever possible.
Mr Snelling said the flu season management plan was likely to remain in place for up to six weeks.
SA Health deputy chief executive Jenny Richter on Wednesday said eight patients had been identified for relocation to country hospitals.
“Sixteen non-urgent elective surgeries, scheduled today, have been postponed. These are surgeries requiring an overnight stay in a hospital bed, therefore freeing up beds and easing the pressure on our hospitals,” she said.
Ms Richter said the department continued to monitor the situation.
An Australian-first operation has been performed on a seven-year-old boy with severe pancreatitis by doctors at Adelaide’s Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
The surgery last month involved the removal of Gary Wanganeen’s pancreas, with islet cells from the organ “re-infused” into the boy’s liver.
The surgery was 18 months in the making and included an extensive ethical review and international consultation with a United States pioneer in islet cell isolation, Dr Balamurugan Appakalai, who travelled from the University of Louisville in the United States to oversee the procedure.
Gastroenterologist Dr Richard Couper said the liver should start producing insulin and improve the boy’s chance of avoiding diabetes.
“The operation to date seems to be successful,” he said.
South Australian Health Minister Jack Snelling congratulated the doctors on their work.
“I’m incredibly proud of what this fantastic team of doctors, multi-disciplinary team, were able to do,” he said.
“It really does go and show that the Women’s and Children’s Hospital is leading the nation in the treatment of sick children.”
Royal Adelaide Hospital transplant doctor Professor Toby Coates assisted in the operation.
A City of Melbourne councillor is calling for smoking to be banned throughout the Royal Botanic Gardens and in areas along the Yarra River.
Councillor Richard Foster, an anti-smoking campaigner, said it would be a “world-first” if implemented.
He said smoke-free areas help make Melbourne “so liveable” and the council was always looking for ways to “advance smoke-free zones” in parks and gardens.
“It’s very much what the community is looking for,” he said.
“The Botanic Gardens seems to be one of the logical places to start, given that it does attract people who are keen to protect their health and keen to advance their fitness.”
Mr Foster said Melbourne had “led the way” on smoke-free zones.
“It’s important that we keep doing that. It’s one of the things that does make our city so liveable,” he said.
A proposal to make the City Square smoke-free will go to council next week and Mr Foster is keen to extend the proposal to other areas, including the Carlton Gardens at the Royal Exhibition Building.
Mr Foster said the council would get all stakeholders involved together for talks before proceeding with a trial.
“I think it’s certainly conceivable within the next year or so but it’s something that’s important to do gradually,” he said.
“Any of these areas where families and kids congregate are the areas we really need to focus on when it comes to smoke-free zones.”
Earlier this year, Melbourne Mayor Robert Doyle called for a no-smoking zone to cover a block of the CBD, including the QV shopping precinct.
A number of Melbourne laneways are also going smoke-free.
This has been the news on Health Professional Radio. For more information on today’s items head to hpr.fm/news and subscribe to our podcast on itunes.